“Reverence for Life”
Johannesburg Anglicans caring for our Common Home
The Johannesburg Anglican Eco-spiritual Initiative is a formal body of the Anglican community of Johannesburg who are attempting to address the challenges being faced by this generation with regards to the environment. We believe it is God’s will that we look after this precious planet we call home. We believe that we have an ethical and moral responsibility to work towards sustainability and social justice in relation to creation.
Guided by our Diocesan vision, JAEI encourages all parishes and Diocesan organisations to pursue responsible environmental management through:
- Visionary servant leadership from within the parish or organisation
- Developing a vibrant community who are committed to a sustainable environment
- Focused partnerships with nearby communities where possible
Focus on Eco-ministry activities include:
- Compliance with applicable legislation
- Embodying and proclaiming the message of God’s redemptive hope and healing for all creation
- Preaching and practicing ‘Reverence for Creation’
- Integrating environmental awareness into our worship and other group activities
- Creating awareness and enhancing the environmental knowledge of our members
- Empower environmental action and responsibility by reducing the ecological footprint of the parish or organisation
- Meeting sound environmental practices as far as possible and encouraging our members to do the same at home, in their communities and their places of work.
- Evaluating performance regularly and improving this where possible
- Becoming active participants of the Johannesburg Anglican Environmental Initiative (JAEI)
- Partnering with nearby communities to combine resources and address environmental issues
Download Brochure – “What is JAEI”
Revd. Judy Bassingthwaighte is JAEI Leader and Chaplain for 2023, and Noeleen Mullett Support and Diocesan Liaison
One of the five marks of mission of the Anglican Communion is “To strive to safeguard the integrity of creation and sustain and renew life of the earth”. This recognises that we are protectors of each other: of the natural world, of the poor and vulnerable
As People of Faith, we are aware of the intricacy and wonder of God’s creation and give thanks to God for the gift of life on this planet, our only home. We recognise that we humans are integrally part of this web of life and that our well-being is dependent on the health and well-being of this planet; and also recognise that God has mandated us to care for and keep this web of life for future generations.
Embarking on the Green Journey with your Church provides a wonderful opportunity to grow. Getting started can be a big step in some churches, but it does not have to be difficult. This is a time for exploration and getting practical. Adopting an Eco-ministry can lay the foundation for an ever-deepening commitment to care for our Common Home – Planet Earth.
JAEI is a resource and network hub for Parishes to become fully environmentally aware both spiritually and actively as we believe it is God’s will that we look after this precious planet – Our Common Home.
Parishes who feel that they would like to explore the idea of becoming a Green Parish can contact us using the contact form.